Harptones lead singer Willie Winfield turns 81 today. His birthday is an event calling for celebration. As lead vocalist for the doo-wop group, Winfield laid down the moving lead vocal on “A Sunday Kind of Love” (video below, dating from 1994). There’s nothing quite like Winfield’s glorious declaration: “I want a Sunday kind of love…” What kind of love is that? “A love to last past Saturday night…” And you know what he’s talking about.
The Harptones came together in 1953 and promptly engineered an appearance at the Apollo Theater’s famous amateur night show. They sang their inventive arrangement of the 1947 Jo Stafford hit “Sunday Kind of Love” to great effect. Their recording of the song came out that December; you can hear it on the Harptones site and pick up the group’s full history on the Vocal Group Hall of Fame page devoted to them.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Federal judge threatens to hold IRS commissioner and DOJ lawyers in contempt [With Comment by John]
- Lions, Triggers, and Critics, Oh My!
- We Live In a World Gone Mad
- What's Happening In States That Are Paying Attention Is Reassuring
- An Omnibus Climate And Green Weenie Update [With Derision by John]
- What Carly can do
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell