Walter Minnick represents Idaho’s first congressional district. He is a Democrat, but not a liberal one, having voted against both the stimulus and Obamacare. Nonetheless, Minnick voted with his party 71 percent of the time during this Congress (his first). These votes included supporting the “Lilly Ledbetter Act” and opposing a spending cap through 2014.
Based on his votes against the stimulus and Obamacare, the Tea Party Express endorsed Minnick for re-election during the primary campaign. However, the Tea Party now has decided to endorse Minnick’s Republican opponent, Raul Labrador. It bases its change of heart on three main things: (1) Minnick has refused to support the repeal of Obamacare, (2) he has refused to say that he will not support Nancy Pelosi as his party’s leader in the next Congress, and (3) he has declined the support of the Tea Party Express, allegedly under pressure from his party’s leadership.
The Labrador campaign says its polling has Minnick in the lead, but only by an unimpressive 37-31 margin. If Minnick actually is polling at under 40 percent, he could in trouble and the support of theTea Party Express could help tip the balance in this conservative district.
You can support Labrador by going here.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Man of the Year Edition
- Branstad as Ambassador to China: More Interesting Than It Looks
- With Ellison inside the Nation of Islam
- Obama to probe alleged Russian election meddling; Senate might too
- Microsoft Goes Left
- Linda McMahon to head the Small Business Administration [With Comment by John]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell