I plan to check out the Jon Stewart rally tomorrow in Washington. I’ll stay long enough to get a sense of the crowd size and a feel for the event. I also look forward to meeting some of the “million” “moderates” the Huffington Post will be busing in.
Stewart seems like an interesting case. I’ve seen him “debate” a few times and there is a pattern. He will argue until the other guy (e.g., Bill O’Reilly) starts to score. Then, he resorts to irony or outright shtick.
It’s a win-win proposition. Either Stewart holds his own with a politician or commentator of substance or he enhances his reputation as a funnyman and all-around cool guy.
It’s nice work if you can get it.
Stewart’s interview with President Obama is a good example. Obama had the better of the argument, such as it was. That’s not surprising, since the left’s critique of him, which Stewart advanced, is infantile. Obama is correct that he has passed groundbreaking lefty legislation (the most important since at least the 1960s; I would argue since the 1930s). Obama is correct that he didn’t promise that change beyond what he’s already accomplished would come quickly or easily. Obama is correct that the overall health of the economy has improved.
Stewart’s best argument? Ha, ha, you said “heckuva a job,” dude. These days, and certainly on this show, that’s game, set, and match to the comedian.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- FBI Report: Hillary Is So Arrogant Her Own Security Couldn't Stand Her
- CNN explains
- Hillary Insulted Diplomats, Flouted Security Protocols [with comment by Paul]
- Self-described "hack" pre-cleared his Politico story with Clinton campaign [UPDATED]
- Howard Dean can't keep up either
- Hillary's Henchmen Pressured FBI on Classification of Documents
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell