Arlen Specter delivered his farewell speech to the Senate today. He pretentiously called it his “final argument” but at least managed, I hope, to avoid citation to Scottish law.
Tim Carney, who says he was just starting to feel a little sentimental about the departure of the stubborn old independent, found Specter’s speech “an angry, petty, mean, self-serving screed that betrayed a total lack of self-awareness.”
But not self-absorption. Specter, who ducked his Republican primary challenger and lost to his Democratic one, warned that “eating or defeating your own is a form of sophisticated cannibalism.” A bit melodramatic, don’t you think?
Anyway, for Republicans, Specter was never really our own. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have become a Democrat.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another reason why Hillary Clinton does not deserve to be president
- A Police-Involved Shooting In Omaha
- More evidence that the criminal justice system is too lenient
- Washington Post Attacks Rubio: He's Not Rich!
- Obama expounds the limits of Iran's anti-Semitism
- Is Hillary's Candidacy Just Another Business Deal?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell