Harry Truman famously observed that the only thing new is history you don’t know. Yale history professor David Blight delivers the news about the origins of Memorial Day in the excellent New York Times op-ed column “Forgetting why we remember.” It’s a story that Professor Blight has been telling for nearly ten years, dating back nearly a decade to his column “The first Decoration Day.” According to Professor Blight, “For the earliest and most remarkable Memorial Day, we must return to where the [Civil War] began.”
The Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri
- This Is Who Texas Democrats Are Defending
- Report: More than a dozen witnesses say Brown attacked officer [UPDATED]
- Was David Gregory fired for being "pro-Israel"?
- Breaking: Nuclear Sabotage in Europe?
- A window opens onto the left-wing mind
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell