Harry Truman famously observed that the only thing new is history you don’t know. Yale history professor David Blight delivers the news about the origins of Memorial Day in the excellent New York Times op-ed column “Forgetting why we remember.” It’s a story that Professor Blight has been telling for nearly ten years, dating back nearly a decade to his column “The first Decoration Day.” According to Professor Blight, “For the earliest and most remarkable Memorial Day, we must return to where the [Civil War] began.”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another reason why Hillary Clinton does not deserve to be president
- A Police-Involved Shooting In Omaha
- More evidence that the criminal justice system is too lenient
- Is Hillary's Candidacy Just Another Business Deal?
- Obama expounds the limits of Iran's anti-Semitism
- Washington Post Attacks Rubio: He's Not Rich!
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell