Dubious donations: Coming soon

We’ve been following the story of the Obama campaign’s slipshod fundraising methods since 2008. I took a whack at explaining what we had learned as of October 27, 2008 in the New York Post column “Dubious donations.” We returned to the subject earlier this year in several posts, the last of which was “Dubious donations: Obama campaign statement.” The campaign statement was issued to Rick Hasen’s Election Law Blog, with no follow-up on the questions that it raised. The Obama campaign never returned my call seeking to follow up on its statement. Now, however, Paul Bedard’s Washington Secrets column reports:

According to knowledgeable sources, a national magazine and a national web site are preparing a blockbuster donor scandal story.

Sources told Secrets that the Obama campaign has been trying to block the story. But a key source said it plans to publish the story Friday or, more likely, Monday.

There are two interrelated stories here. The first is the story of the Obama campaign’s online fundraising methods, which will be addressed in the forthcoming report to which Bedard alludes. The second is the story of the Obama campaign’s response. Bedard has good sources. We will be on top of this story as soon as it becomes public.

Recommend this Power Line article to your Facebook friends.

Responses