Edward Jay Epstein has a large and distinguished body of work on intelligence and intelligence-related issues. Among his books in the field are Legend: The Secret World of Lee Harvey Oswald and Deception: The Invisible War Between the KGB and the CIA.
This morning Ed has forwarded the following thoughts on the Petraeus scandal:
Before we can walk the cat back, and establish the chronology of a possible penetration, we need to answer the following ten questions:
1. When and where did the sexual liaison between Paula Broadwell begin? Was it before, during, or after the FBI conducted its mandatory background check on General Petraeus in 2011?
2. When did General Petraeus (who had top secret access) and Paula Broadwell collaborate to set up anonymous gmail accounts and exchange passwords to them? Over what period were these “drop boxes” used to evade US intelligence surveillance of internet providers through the device of storing drafts of unsent emails?
3. It is reported that Paula Broadwell, a former military intelligence officer (under the pseudonym “KelleyPatrol”), sent an email to General John Allen, the former deputy to General Petraeus in Tampa, warning him that Gilberte (“Jill”) Khawam Kelley was a “seductress.” If so, on what date was this warning to General Allen sent?
4. It is further reported General Allen told Kelley of the anonymous warning. If so, on what date did this occur?
5. It is reported that Kelley consulted a friend in the Tampa FBI field office in May 2012, What was exact date? Was it after she received news of the warning from General Allen?
6. When did the FBI determine “drop boxes” were being used by Paula Broadwell?
7. The FBI reportedly obtained a warrant by showing probable cause of a crime in order to search the anonymous accounts. If this was a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrant, what crime did the FBI allege it was investigating? On what date did it obtain this warrant?
8. When was General Petraeus told by the FBI it was investigating anonymous gmail accounts? Was it done through the FBI liaison with the CIA?
9. When did the FBI determine Paula Broadwell was in possession of classified data on her computer?
10. It is reported that General Petraeus told Paula Broadwell to stop sending anonymous letters. If so, was it after he learned of the FBI investigation? In any case, when did General Petraeus and Paula Broadwell last communicate?