In his “Extremism and moderation” essay on the 1964 Goldwater campaign, Steve Hayward refers to its unforeseen impact on the rise of Ronald Reagan as a result of Reagan’s “A Time for Choosing” speech “in the closing hours of the doomed campaign.” Like Goldwater’s Conscience of a Conservative, for whose continuing relevance Steve argues in the essay, “A Time for Choosing” also remains relevant. See, for example, the excerpt in the inspirational video below. The video makes a good supplement to Steve’s essay.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Could Liberal Disgust With Campus Brownshirts Be Reaching Critical Mass?
- The world turned upside down, Obama style
- Mounting Campus Backlash, The Sequel
- Democrats and their masters
- Hillary lectures reporters, gets standing ovation
- Justice Kennedy's testimony about gridlock harkens back to Obamacare case
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell