More Fake News from the Left

About 90 percent of the time that you hear about a “hate crime” on a college campus, it is later discovered to have been a hoax. And the other 10 percent of the time the culprit is not some vagabond Klan member or genuine Nazi, but a psychologically troubled kid seeking attention. As David Burge (“Iowahawk”) observed on Twitter, it’s odd that so many expressions of “hate speech” are showing up as graffiti in Brooklyn rather than in Alabama and Mississippi.

But where would the left be without hate crimes to validate its prejudices about what it sees as hopelessly retrograde America (especially those “flyover” parts)? The demagogic Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) would be out of business. And a nice business it is, too. According to the SPLC’s 2014 IRS Form 990, total revenues that year were $54 million, and the two top executives were each paid nearly $400,000 in total compensation.

And what about acts of violence against Trump supporters, which have happened on a wide scale since the election? Turns out the SPLC left out all of those in its recent report on post-election hate crimes. The New York Post reported last week:

At least 2,000 educators around the country reported racist slurs and other derogatory language leveled against white students in the first days after Donald Trump was elected president. But the group that surveyed the teachers didn’t publish the results in its report on Trump-related “hate crimes.”

The Southern Poverty Law Center partnered with the American Federation of Teachers, which formally endorsed Hillary Clinton, to circulate the questionnaire among its 1.6 million mostly Democratic members. The survey was sent out to K-12 teachers and administrators who subscribe to its “Teaching Tolerance” newsletter.

The SPLC’s widely cited report — “The Trump Effect: The Impact of the 2016 Presidential Election on Our Nation’s Schools” — reported that 40 percent of the more than 10,000 educators who responded to the survey “have heard derogatory language directed at students of color, Muslims, immigrants and people based on gender or sexual orientation.”

Meanwhile, remember the story of the Muslim woman who claimed she was attacked on the New York subway by three Trump-chanting white men? I was pretty certain at the time that this would turn out to be a hoax, and wish I had predicted it here. And guess what?

MANHATTAN — An 18-year-old Muslim college student who claimed three men screaming “Donald Trump!” attacked her on a Manhattan subway platform is being charged with filing a false report after admitting she made up the incident, sources told DNAinfo New York.

Yasmin Seweid, a Baruch College student, told police that she boarded a uptown No. 6 train at East 23rd St. on Dec. 1 and was called a “terrorist” by three drunken young white men.

She also claimed that when she moved to the other end of the train, one of the men followed her and tried to pull off her hajib before she fled.

But investigators who spent significant NYPD resources trying to verify her story were unable to find any witnesses to the incident or video that could corroborate her story, sources said.

Seweid finally recanted Tuesday, saying she misguidedly made up the tale to get attention because she was having issues with her family at home.

What was that again about “fake news”?

Responses

Books to read from Power Line