Before I sign off for the night, I have to add a quick comment regarding the Trunk’s post, below, on John Edwards’ clueless performance on ABC. I’m not thinking primarily of the fact that he couldn’t come up with the name of a favorite philosopher, although that is pathetic–it reminds me of the days when Deacon and I would invent baseball teams consisting entirely of philosophers: “Chico” Marx at shortstop, Spinoza at second, Arthur Schopenhauer the slow but strong-armed right fielder. Instead, I’m referring to Edwards’ choice of I.F. Stone’s book about the death of Socrates as his favorite book.
There was a time, not so many years ago, when a Presidential candidate who selected a book by a Communist stooge (and, if memory serves, spy) as his favorite would have been doomed to a speedy oblivion. Apparently that is no longer the case. But it will be interesting to see whether anyone outside the blogosphere even notes the fact that John Edwards can’t think of a better book than one by a Communist mole who thought Socrates was guilty. As, in a socialist workers’ paradise, he would have been.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
- Senator Johnson's request
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell