Two days ago, we posted on the news, which was in many of the leading Australian and Asian papers, that the Administration had released a report saying that a high-ranking al Qaeda prisoner has said that Iraq provided materials for biological and chemical weapons. The same source allegedly said that approximately two dozen al Qaeda members had taken refuge in Iraq along with Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, and conducted terrorist operations from there.
This is obviously big news, if true, but I can’t find any sign of it in American or English newspapers. Nor is it mentioned on the White House or Defense Department web sites. The story may be a hoax, I suppose, but so far, at least it hasn’t been retracted by the Sydney Morning Herald or the other papers where it appeared.
Meanwhile, American news sources like the Washington Post and the New York Times are apparently oblivious to the story; this morning they yammer on about the “missing WMDs” as though nothing had happened. (“Depiction of Iraqi Threat Based On Weak Evidence,” headlines the Post today.)
If anyone knows what is going on here, please let us know.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Glenn Reynolds Asks a Good Question; Bob Mueller Won't Answer
- Strzok-Page texts show hatred of Trump by the two ex-Team Mueller members
- Female Trump accusers seek congressional hearing
- Jones Wins: Al Franken Hardest Hit
- A note to commenters (rated R)
- Strzok on prospect of a Trump presidency: "We can't take that risk"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell