President Bush’s nomination of Daniel Pipes to the U.S. Institute for Peace is being held up by “a quartet of craven senators” — Senators Ted Kennedy, Christopher Dodd, Tom Harkin, and Jim Jeffords. Who is Daniel Pipes?
“He is a scholar and the author of 12 books, four of which are on Islam. Unlike most of the complacent and clueless Middle East academic establishment, which specializes in the brotherhood of man and the perfidy of the United States, Pipes has for years been warning that the radical element within Islam posed a serious and growing threat to the United States.
“During the decades when America slept, Pipes was among the very first to understand the dangers of Islamic radicalism. In his many writings he identified it, explained its roots — including, most notably, Wahhabism as practiced and promoted by Saudi Arabia — and warned of its plans to infiltrate and make war on the United States itself.
“Sept. 11, 2001, demonstrated his prescience. Like most prophets, he is now being punished for being right.”
In other words, he is a most remarkable man. Thanks to Charles Krauthammer for pointing it out in his weekly Washington Post column today: “The truth about Daniel Pipes.”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
- Senator Johnson's request
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell