The Weekly Standard’s Noemie Emery joins those who see the California recall results as evidence that the Democrats are “the out-of-touch party.” Two major Democratic themes flopped badly in California. The first theme, George Bush “the miserable failure,” was promoted mostly by Arianna Huffington, who in the debate with Schwarzenegger tried to portray him as a Bush clone. Emery notes that after the debate “Arnold soared , while Huffington’s share in the polls fell from 2 percent to 0.4, at which point she dropped out and went to work for Gray Davis.” The second theme, the Republicans as chronic subverters of the will of the people (impeachment, Florida, etc.), played no better. Emery may be over-estimating the extent to which the California election was a referendum on national Democratic themes, as opposed to Davis’ competence, Arnold’s celebrity and so forth. But I think she is correct in the main: the Democrats are intent on demonizing President Bush and his party, and the public isn’t buying it.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
- Senator Johnson's request
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell