Christopher Caldwell gives the proposed French law banning the veil worn by Muslim women a powerfully sympathetic treatment in the featured article of the new Weekly Standard: “Veiled threat.” Caldwell’s article is an outstanding piece of journalism that provides the background to the proposed law and suggests the stakes involved.
Caldwell asks whether Islam can be practiced in private; whether it can be reconciled with free government; whether it can allow others to live in peace in a secular country. He scorns the ignorance of American public officials who lack any understanding of the internal challenge France’s Muslims raise to the French state.
Caldwell concludes: “There are elements of la
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- Senator Johnson's request
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell