Haaretz reports that French prosecutors are investigating whether Palestinian Authority funds were diverted to the personal account Yasser Arafat’s wife, Suha. According to Haaretz, “an International Monetary Fund report on Palestinian Authority accounts between 1997 and 2003 found that some $900 million in PA funds, some of them contributed by donor nations, had been diverted by PA officials to accounts overseas. A hefty chunk of these funds, around $10 million, had reportedly been transferred to accounts owned by Suha Arafat in Paris. She allegedly used hundreds of thousands of dollars for personal matters and the rest of the money remained in the accounts.”
At the same time, the European Union’s anti-fraud office is looking into even more serious allegations that the PA diverted money from European donors into terrorist activity. Haaretz says EU investigators have concluded that documents seized by the Israeli Defense Force indicating that Arafat ordered funds from European sources be used to support terrorist activity, including the work of the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, are authentic.
If these investigations pan out, Arafat and the PA can each expect, at most, a gentle slap on the wrist.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
- Senator Johnson's request
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell