Mitt Romney today filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission announcing the formation of his presidential campaign exploratory committee. At the same time, his campaign launched its website, which can be found here.
As regular most Power Line readers probably know, I consider Romney a very attractive candidate, and prefer him to John McCain and Rudy Giuliani. However, many conservatives don’t know much about Romney, while others (especially social conservatives) are suspicious of him. The success of his campaign will depend on his ability to overcome these problems.
Meanwhile, as we have noted, there’s still space in the race for a well known candidate with a longer and deeper conservative track record. With George Allen and Rick Santorum seemingly out of picture and Bill Frist not running, only Newt Gingrich comes to my mind. But Romney would likely be a more attractive candidate to the independents and moderate Republicans needed to win the general election.
By the way, it’s not just the Republican field that has open space. Later today, I’ll argue that the Dems also have some.
To comment on this post, go here.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
- Senator Johnson's request
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell