I agree completely that the narrowness of the victory in 2004 was quite striking and worthy of study. The race should have resembled the blow out of Dukakis. Kerry was no less ridiculous on national security than Dukakis, and that was the preeminent issue. Plus, we were in the middle of a very robust economic expansion, which strongly favors the incumbent, and Bush is a good and likable candidate, whereas Kerry was a clown on the order of Thurston Howell, III.
So why was it so close?
My guesses are roughly: 1. It
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
- Senator Johnson's request
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill