Work and other commitments have prevented me from attending the CPAC convention, but I just finished watching Rudy Giuliani’s speech to that group on C-SPAN. Rudy was far from the top of his game. The speech rambled some, the timing wasn’t always great, and the lines weren’t consistently sharp.
But even when he’s a little off, Rudy’s pretty good because he still exudes confidence and establishes rapport by calmly explaining things in a coherent common sense way, rather than lecturing at folks. Above all, he just seems so genuine.
I think Hillary Clinton is underrated by some as a speaker and debater, but if it’s Hillary and Rudy, she might very well have trouble with him.
UPDATE: Here’s Ed Morissey’s report. It’s more favorable than mine, and Ed was actually there. Like me, Kate O’Beirne saw the speech on C-SPAN. She calls it “effective” and “successful.” Kathryn Lopez saw the speech live and, like me, found it not “rousing.”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- "Green" Energy Is Sinister
- The Washington Post Lies About a Conservative Journalist
- The Omar-Tlaib circus comes to town
- Liberal hypocrisy over Netanyahu's relationships with American presidents
- Trump "not happy" with Fox News because its polls show him losing
- Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren lie about the Michael Brown case
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell