According to this report in The Hill, several Democrats claim that Sen. John McCain discussed with them the idea of switching parties in 2001, shortly before Sen. Jeffords abandoned the Republicans. The Jeffords switch gave the Dems a majority.
Former Democratic Senate leader Tom Daschle makes this claim, as does former Rep. Tom Downey, who at the time was a lobbyist. Supposedly, two months of negotiations ensued after a top McCain aide, John Weaver, made an approach to his friend Downey on the Senator’s behalf. Ted Kennedy, Harry Reid, and John Edwards all participated in the alleged courtship. Senator McCain denies the report, insisting “I never considered leaving the Republican Party, period.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
- Senator Johnson's request
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell