Last night I had the pleasure of attending the Media Research Center’s awards dinner. This is an annual event (but my first time attending) at which the MRC recognizes the year’s most preposterous liberal media commentary.
The MRC deserves great credit for paying the attention necessary to dredge up the year’s worst quotes, from which a large group of judges (I was one) determines the worst. The quotes are hardly limited to fringe personalities like Rosie O’Donnell, Bill Maher, and Keith Olbermann, whose schtick is to serve up inane, venomous remarks. Indeed, the winning comments tend to come from MSM mainstays like CBS anchor Katie Couric and New York Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger. Couric won hers for this profound response to Secretary Rice’s suggestion that it makes sense to assist countries trying to improve their form of government: “who made us the boss of them?” Sulzberger won his by apologizing to students at a college graduation ceremony for the fact that they are about to enter a world in which the left’s agenda has not been fully realized. It’s not your fault, “Pinch” — it’s those pesky American voters. Your apology should be to your shareholders.
For a good account of the event, check out Kathryn Lopez’s report.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell