Jean-Marie Le Pen, the deplorable right-wing candidate for the French presidency, has urged his followers not to vote in the run-off election this weekend. Le Pen, who made the run-off last time, finished fourth in the first round with approximately 11 percent of the vote. Presumably, few members of that bloc have any inclination to vote for Socialist Segolene Royal, but many of the non-fascists among might well vote for Nicolas Sarkozy. Le Pen has decided he does not want them to.
However, it’s not clear how many of his supporters will be similarly indifferent to the identity of their next president. Appearing on a French newscast today, Le Pen sounded like a sour, egomanical has-been. He noted with obvious resentment that Sarkozy had not contacted him since the first round, and it seems likely that this, not any question of principle, caused Le Pen to urge his supporters to boycott the election.
Regardless of the outcome, the demise of Le Pen is a victory for France. And win or lose, Sarkozy has done France a great service by refusing to reach out to the old bigot.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
- Senator Johnson's request
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell