The sorry story of the Duke lacrosse case came to an end yesterday with Democratic District Attorney Michael Nifong sentenced to serve a day in jail for criminal contempt of court. There is a certain irony in the fact that, after Nifong’s many bold pronouncements of the students’ guilt, the only person to go to jail in the case was Nifong. To my knowledge, no sanction has been imposed on the stripper who leveled the false accusation.
Nifong brought the bogus rape charges as part of his re-election campaign. He is not the only Democrat, by any means, to use racial demagoguery as a ticket to public office. It happens in every election cycle. But he did it in a judicial forum where, eventually, justice could be done.
To comment on this post, go here.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another errant anti-Trump hit piece from the Washington Post
- On the Left, It Is All Hysteria, All the Time
- The Week in Pictures: The Last Woke Force Returns Edition
- Senator Johnson's request
- Is Ridicule of Federal Judge Nominee Justified?
- Ken Starr's investigation and Robert Mueller's -- compare and contrast
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell