The Heritage Foundation has released a new economic analysis of Waxman-Markey, the cap and trade bill that is dead–we hope–at least for this year. The results aren’t pretty. Heritage finds that Waxman Markey would, by 2035:
* Increase gas prices 58% above the increases included in the baseline forecast.
* Increase electricity prices by 90%.
* Raise energy costs for an average family of four by $1,241 per year.
* Cause the average family of four to pay $4,609 more per year, including increased taxes.
* Reduce GDP by an aggregate amount of $9.4 trillion.
* Increase the national debt by an additional $12,803 per person.
This chart illustrates the projected increases in energy costs; click to enlarge:
This one shows annual reductions in GDP:
The most remarkable thing about Waxman-Markey is that it might not be the worst bill introduced into Congress this year.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill