NBC has lifted its suspension of Keith Olbermann. The sports highlights presenter turned deranged political commentator reportedly will return to the air on Tuesday night.
A number of excellent conservative bloggers have criticized the suspension of Olbermann, but I think it was well deserved. Olbermann violated the unambiguous policy of his employer. If the policy is a senseless one, which I think it is, NBC should change the policy. But past violations should not go unpunished.
Olbermann’s arrogance is legendary, and his employer acted reasonably in trying to remind him that he is not exempt from its policies. My guess, though, is that the suspension will prove too brief to serve that purpose.
UPDATE: According to this report, Olbermann got NBC to apologize for suspending him. The report doesn’t say whether his lost pay was restored.
In any case, if NBC really did apologize to Olbermann for enforcing its rules, then he has demonstrated that he’s bigger than his employer. That would make his employer very small indeed.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- U.N. warns that repealing Obamacare may be illegal
- Not at the White House with Trump
- The Insane Left Hits Rock Bottom
- Portlandia: City of the Petty, Bankrupt, Vindictive Left
- Former Official: Obama Administration Misled on Climate Change
- Freedom Caucus endorses revised Obamacare replacement proposal
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell