Last week Richard Epstein examined the question whether Jerusalem is in Israel as a matter of American constitutional law. Congress says it is, at least insofar as in a statute that requires the Secretary of State to recognize Jerusalem as part of Israel when issuing passports. Indeed, the statute is the law of the land. The Secretary of State, however, begs to differ. Is the statute constitutional? The federal courts have given the Secretary of State the final word, holding review of the Secretary of State’s determination not to be justiciable. The Supreme Court will consider the question in Zivotofsky v. Clinton..
Elliot Abrams takes the question one step further. Is the Knesset in Israel? Abrams points out that in its public pronouncements the Obama administration is keeping that an open question.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Socialist Death Squads Rule Venezuela
- The Marches For Democrats, As Reported By Liberal Media
- Macron and Le Pen are one-two in France [UPDATED]
- Trump Administration to Follow Through On "Dumb Deal" Re Illegal Refugees
- The Associated Press Interviews President Trump
- Israel strikes pro-Assad militia in Syria
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell