This weekend, a reader from here in the Washington D.C. area found himself seated next to a Democratic fundraiser and operative. This Democrat offered the following opinions. They reflect, I think, how well-connected Democrats read the current political situation:
1. Hillary Clinton is a “gem” who will win 70% of the women’s vote and likely the election because electing the first woman president is “a really big deal.”
2. Democrats in both the House and the Senate despise the president. He is “aloof” and “arrogant” and treats them as if they are irrelevant. They remain loyal publicly only due to party loyalty and agree sotto voce that he is a terrible president.
3. Democrats are hoping that the Republicans will nominate a “crazy” person like Mr. Trump, Senator Cruz, or Dr. Carson. Only Senator Rubio has a “path to victory,” especially if he taps Governor Kasich as his running mate. Democrats are “worried” about Mr. Rubio and no other candidate.
4. Democrats were concerned about Jeb Bush but now believe he is going down in flames and will not be the nominee.
5. Democrats expect to win the Senate in 2016 and then lose the Senate again in 2018 due to who will be running and which seats are contested.
6. Republicans will win the House in 2016 and for a “long time” thereafter.
7. Benghazi is the best thing that happened to Mrs. Clinton so far in the campaign, and the recent hearing helped turn around her campaign because she looked so “presidential” and because she showed that she is so “smart.”
For what it’s worth.