Quick, guess the nationality of the lawyer who will defend Saddam Hussein. Yup, it’s a Frenchman, and not just any Frenchman, but Jacques Verges, who has also defended Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie and Carlos the Jackal, and is said to have been a friend of Pol Pot, the Khmer Rouge leader behind Cambodia’s genocide. In fact, Khieu Samphan, a former Khmer Rouge leader, says he has picked Verges to defend him at a proposed genocde trial.
The BBC story that I’ve linked to above says that Verges is a “champion of extremists from both left and right, defending Palestinian violence but also neo-Nazis.” (emphasis added) The irony here is that the BBC sees irony (or tension) in the same lawyer defending Palestinians and neo-Nazis. There is none. Verges, who is also a Communist, has his act and his ideology together. He is the perfect lawyer for Saddam.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Obama to Oil Companies (and Motorists): Drop Dead
- For Venezuela, the End Is Near. Someone Tell Bernie!
- Why Hillary Will Never Be President
- Clinton clobbers Sanders [with comment by Paul]
- Washington Post airbrushes Obama's mosque visit
- Polls show Rubio surging in New Hampshire [UPDATED: the Romney factor] [UPDATED AGAIN]
The Power Line Show
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell