I saw President Bush’s speech tonight. It was a good speech well delivered. I’d like to think that a reasonable viewer would find it difficult to accept the mainstream media gospel that (a) Bush has no plan, (b) the struggle in Iraq serves no purpose, and (c) events in Iraq have spun out of control. The president presented his plan, articulated his purpose, and calmly explained the progress we have made, even in Fallujah and Nadjaf. Just as importantly, he looked presidential throughout. Peter Schramm at No Left Turns provides valuable commentary on the speech here.
Unfortunately, the president’s speech apparently was not carried by the broadcast networks and not picked up by most local affiliates. Thus, the president’s ability effectively to challenge the mainstream media’s slanderous narrative was limited from the start. That media hopes to impose a blackout on all but bad news from Iraq and thereby to wrap the American public in the same cocoon it inhabits. But most Americans have a strong sense of fair play and a fundamental respect for the presidency, so it remains to be seen whether the mainstream media can continue to have its way on the Iraq story.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Princeton Students Fight Back
- Five Shot at Black Lives Matter Protest In Minneapolis [Updated]
- Washington Post's Fact Checker Doesn't Read the Washington Post [Updated][Updated Again]
- When the Press Attacks Donald Trump, the Truth Is Optional [Updated]
- The man our founders warned us against
- Insist on the Gosar amendment
The Power Line Show
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell