is the fact that he’s the only polltician ever to defeat Ronald Reagan. He did it over the course of a thrilling battle for the Republican presidential nomination in 1976. I can’t recall a closer race since.
Vice President Cheney was President Ford’s chief of staff. I was surprised to learn that he remembers 1976 (which after all ended in defeat for Ford) more fondly than any of the other presidential campaigns he’s been involved with. Cheney pointed to the exhilaration of the battle against Reagan, followed by the tremendous late surge against Jimmy Carter which nearly produced victory. Being so young may have contributed, as well.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Dishonest CIA Director Rips Trump; Trump Should Rip Him Back [Updated]
- Power Line's Inauguration Liberal Beclowning Contest
- 300 US Jewish leaders are with you
- Trump likely to move Britain to the front of the queue
- Trump meets with Judge Pryor as rumored "short list" emerges
- Reporters Beg Martin Luther King III to Denounce Trump [Updated]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell