According to this report in The Hill, several Democrats claim that Sen. John McCain discussed with them the idea of switching parties in 2001, shortly before Sen. Jeffords abandoned the Republicans. The Jeffords switch gave the Dems a majority.
Former Democratic Senate leader Tom Daschle makes this claim, as does former Rep. Tom Downey, who at the time was a lobbyist. Supposedly, two months of negotiations ensued after a top McCain aide, John Weaver, made an approach to his friend Downey on the Senator’s behalf. Ted Kennedy, Harry Reid, and John Edwards all participated in the alleged courtship. Senator McCain denies the report, insisting “I never considered leaving the Republican Party, period.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Insane Left Hits Rock Bottom
- At the White House with Trump
- Judge blocks Trump's order on sanctuary cities
- Times Editorial Board Accuses Justice Gorsuch of Murder [with comment by Paul]
- 75 year-old vet acquitted of placing American flag at VA facility
- Former Official: Obama Administration Misled on Climate Change
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell