According to this report in The Hill, several Democrats claim that Sen. John McCain discussed with them the idea of switching parties in 2001, shortly before Sen. Jeffords abandoned the Republicans. The Jeffords switch gave the Dems a majority.
Former Democratic Senate leader Tom Daschle makes this claim, as does former Rep. Tom Downey, who at the time was a lobbyist. Supposedly, two months of negotiations ensued after a top McCain aide, John Weaver, made an approach to his friend Downey on the Senator’s behalf. Ted Kennedy, Harry Reid, and John Edwards all participated in the alleged courtship. Senator McCain denies the report, insisting “I never considered leaving the Republican Party, period.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Grubergate Highlights the Corruption of the Obama Administration
- Delusional Democrats
- If you like your health insurance plan, you must pay more to keep your health insurance plan
- It Was George W. Bush Who Slowed the Rise of the Oceans
- Contradicting Dianne Feinstein's sham report on CIA interrogation
- United Arab Emirates designates CAIR as terrorist organization
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell