Stephen Hayes, in an inside look at Marco Rubio’s campaign, relates an anecdote from one of Rubio’s debates with Charlie Crist and Kendrick Meek. Trailing badly in the polls, Crist unleashed a long rambling attack on Rubio for his use of a Republican Party credit card a decade ago. Rubio looked at Crist “with a mixture of amusement and pity” and said: “I’ve never had a heckler at the debate; I’ve always had them in the audience.”
As Hayes tells it, the audience erupted with laughter, then applause. Rubio had neutralized the attack and reduced the sitting governor to a crazy man in the crowd.
Hayes also reports that, just before the debate, Rubio was collecting himself by listening to “Sexy Bitch” in his iPod. Maybe I should try that before my next court appearance.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell