The Washington Post has a fascinating account of the activities of the September 11 plotters during the months leading up to the attacks. Among other things, the ease with which they traveled around the world is striking. We hear a lot about the difficulty an open society like the United States has in combatting terrorism, but the same can be said of most of the world. It is also interesting that the CIA was sufficiently aware of the plotters that they asked the Indonesian government to photograph their meeting in Kuala Lumpur in January 2000. Apparently this meeting was called following the failure of a series of attacks that had been intended to coincide with the millenium, and it was at the Kuala Lumpur meeting that plans for the attacks on the USS Cole as well as on Washington and New York were hatched.
Most Read on Power Line
- Why You Should Be Sympathetic Toward Cliven Bundy
- Today's IRS Documents: What Do They Show?
- Standoff at Bundy Ranch Ends, With Photo of the Year So Far
- The War On Standards Comes to College Debate [with comment by Paul]
- Is Scott Walker on his way to 2016 front-runner status?
- At Dartmouth, Phil Hanlon wants no enemies to the left
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell