I agree with Deacon that the platitude that liberals think “people are basically good,” which we all learned in our college government courses, is out of date. Maybe it was true once, I’m not sure. But today, liberals believe (and, worse yet, hope) that people have no higher aspirations than to suck what they can out of a common pot in hopes of attaining security–“security” in the contemptible sense that assumes someone else is looking out for both the common defense and the economic production that supports us all. In today’s world, it is only conservatism that assumes people are capable of pursuing a more noble course than scrapping for a slightly bigger piece of the pie that someone else baked. For just one of countless examples, see the WSJ article by David Asman that the Trunk linked to earlier today.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Durham D.A. admits ideology will influence his prosecutorial discretion
- The media can't help but help Trump
- New York Times Applauds Far-Left Violence
- Munchin' on Mnuchin
- Google Teaming With Left-Wing Groups to Drive Conservatives Off the Internet?
- U.S. Civil Rights Commission wants no enemies on the left
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell