I have been noting the reviews of the important new book by Anne Applebaum, Gulag: A history, on Power Line as the reviews have been published. The reviews have been uniformly positive, but given the tortured relationship of the New York Times with the Soviet Union over the years, I have wondered what the Times would do with the book. Tomorrow’s Sunday Times Book Review publishes a review by Steven Merritt Miner, professor of history at Ohio University, that is not only positive but also lacking in any trace of condescension to Applebaum or apologetics regarding the Gulag. The review is “‘Gulag’: The other killing machine.” The Times online site also provides the first chapter of the book.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell