Iyad Allawi, a member of Iraq’s Governing Council, has told the Arab newspapers Al-Hayat and Asharq al-Awsat that during his interrogation, Saddam Hussein has confessed to looting billions of dollars from Iraq and stashing it in banks around the world. The Governing Council estimates that Saddam may have stolen $40 billion.
The most interesting part of Allawi’s report, as quoted in Asharq al-Awsat, is the following:
“Saddam has started to give information on money that has been looted from Iraq and deposited abroad. Investigation is now concentrated on his relationship with terrorist organizations and on the money paid to elements outside Iraq.”
Those are two topics in which we have an intense interest. As usual with reports from members of the Council, other Council members dispute Allawi’s claims.
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Crimea River Edition
- More Proof That Liberals Are Humorless Losers
- Exclusive to Power Line: Koch Industries Responds to New York Times Smears
- Latest News on the Climate Change Collapse
- Rand Paul: Did an Old Prejudice Rear Its Head In His CPAC Speech?
- Poll contains good news and bad news for Democrats [With Comment on Hillary By John]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell