Iyad Allawi, a member of Iraq’s Governing Council, has told the Arab newspapers Al-Hayat and Asharq al-Awsat that during his interrogation, Saddam Hussein has confessed to looting billions of dollars from Iraq and stashing it in banks around the world. The Governing Council estimates that Saddam may have stolen $40 billion.
The most interesting part of Allawi’s report, as quoted in Asharq al-Awsat, is the following:
“Saddam has started to give information on money that has been looted from Iraq and deposited abroad. Investigation is now concentrated on his relationship with terrorist organizations and on the money paid to elements outside Iraq.”
Those are two topics in which we have an intense interest. As usual with reports from members of the Council, other Council members dispute Allawi’s claims.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- 97 Percent of All Liberal Claims Are Wrong
- Earth's Climate Shows 2,000-Year Cooling Trend
- In which Keith Ellison finds me of use
- Next, let's poll the police
- The Collapse of the Democratic Party In South Dakota: What Happened?
- The Cuba appeasement and the latest detainee release -- is there a connection?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell