Granma is the official organ of the Cuban Communist party; it is one of the world’s most surreal, out-of-touch publications. But at least one Granma employee has apparently risked all in the name of political satire.
The photos below are hard to make out, but you can see that someone at Granma altered Fidel Castro’s appearance to give him Adolph Hitler’s slicked-down hair and black moustache instead of his own graying hair and full beard. Some have said that the appearances of the spectators were altered too, by giving them dark glasses, etc.
Cuban authorities rushed to confiscate all copies of Granma they could get their hands on. It is hard to imagine that whoever tinkered with the Castro photo can escape detection. But the fact that someone was willing to risk death to ridicule Castro is a hopeful sign.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- There's something about Hillary's health
- How's the Coverup Going, Hillary?
- Our under-incarceration problem, Charlotte edition
- Meet the black Charlotte police officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Mark Cuban and Gennifer Flowers to Square Off at Monday's Debate? [with comment by Paul]
- Statesmanship: Obama versus Bibi
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell