Christopher Caldwell gives the proposed French law banning the veil worn by Muslim women a powerfully sympathetic treatment in the featured article of the new Weekly Standard: “Veiled threat.” Caldwell’s article is an outstanding piece of journalism that provides the background to the proposed law and suggests the stakes involved.
Caldwell asks whether Islam can be practiced in private; whether it can be reconciled with free government; whether it can allow others to live in peace in a secular country. He scorns the ignorance of American public officials who lack any understanding of the internal challenge France’s Muslims raise to the French state.
Caldwell concludes: “There are elements of la
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Special Al Franken Edition
- On blue slips, Grassley pulls the trigger
- How Al Franken Sees Himself, and How Others See Him
- Kirsten Gillibrand's intellectual dishonesty [UPDATED]
- Gloria Allred won't allow inspection of yearbook
- It wasn't "the times" that caused feminists to give Bill Clinton a pass
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell