Christopher Caldwell gives the proposed French law banning the veil worn by Muslim women a powerfully sympathetic treatment in the featured article of the new Weekly Standard: “Veiled threat.” Caldwell’s article is an outstanding piece of journalism that provides the background to the proposed law and suggests the stakes involved.
Caldwell asks whether Islam can be practiced in private; whether it can be reconciled with free government; whether it can allow others to live in peace in a secular country. He scorns the ignorance of American public officials who lack any understanding of the internal challenge France’s Muslims raise to the French state.
Caldwell concludes: “There are elements of la
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Durham D.A. admits ideology will influence his prosecutorial discretion
- The media can't help but help Trump
- New York Times Applauds Far-Left Violence
- Munchin' on Mnuchin
- Google Teaming With Left-Wing Groups to Drive Conservatives Off the Internet?
- U.S. Civil Rights Commission wants no enemies on the left
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell