Mark Steyn devotes his column to a discussion of the fraudulent Jefferson quote: “Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Jefferson never said it. Dissent is not the highest form of patriotism. Jefferson, on the other hand, did write “that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” There doesn’t seem to be much overlap between the folks who falsely quote Jefferson on the subject of dissent and those who quote the more famous statement.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Obama to Oil Companies (and Motorists): Drop Dead
- For Venezuela, the End Is Near. Someone Tell Bernie!
- Clinton clobbers Sanders [with comment by Paul]
- Clinton among friends
- Polls show Rubio surging in New Hampshire [UPDATED: the Romney factor] [UPDATED AGAIN]
- Washington Post airbrushes Obama's mosque visit
The Power Line Show
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell