Before Ken Mehlman leaves his post as RNC chairman, a word of appreciation is in order. Mehlman has done a phenomenal job. He’s the total package — not only does he know the nuts and bolts of politics like very few others, but he’s an outstanding spokesperson for the party. I can’t think of a chairman from either party who was his equal.
There’s talk that Michael Steele might take the position. There’s no reason to doubt that Steele would do a capable job. But Steele would have to be an aggressive defender of his party’s position and of the president. That role might well guarantee that he never will be elected to public office in Maryland. And that would be too bad.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Special Al Franken Edition
- On blue slips, Grassley pulls the trigger
- How Al Franken Sees Himself, and How Others See Him
- Kirsten Gillibrand's intellectual dishonesty [UPDATED]
- Gloria Allred won't allow inspection of yearbook
- It wasn't "the times" that caused feminists to give Bill Clinton a pass
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell