It was five years ago today, or this weekend anyway, when I set up the original Power Line site on Blogger. The site’s name, as many of our readers already know, was suggested by a thirteen-year-old friend of my oldest daughter. Scott and I had been writing together for more than a decade by then, and he joined up the following Tuesday, with the prophetic words: “I think this looks like fun, even if no one ever reads the stuff I write except you. But I have to tell you, I think the idea that we could ever have any readers for this thing is a pathetic fantasy.”
A month or two later I suggested to Scott that we add a third writer, my college roommate Paul Mirengoff, whom Scott had never met, although we had all been at Dartmouth together for a couple of years. Paul deleted the first email I sent him, having no idea what the heck I was talking about. Fortunately, he followed up on the second, and the roster was complete. We’ve had a lot of fun over the last five years, but anything good that’s happened here has been entirely due to our readers, who turned out to exist after all. Thanks to you all, and happy birthday to us.
UPDATE: Many thanks to Hugh Hewitt for his extraordinarily generous birthday greetings. Hugh’s estimate of our influence is no doubt overstated, but is characteristic of his generosity of spirit.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The meaning of "Australia" [Updated With Chart: How Successful Was Australia?]
- Best Academic Abstract Ever [With Comments By John and Paul]
- Modest Proposals On Gun Violence
- Bon Jovi to Waters: Drop Dead!
- Hide the women and children, the Supreme Court is back in session
- The Washington Nationals' horribly disappointing season, what went wrong?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell