At the end of August, the UN will renew UNIFIL’s mandate in southern Lebanon. The new “robust” UNIFIL was created by Resolution 1701 a year ago as part of the Israel-Hezbollah cease-fire. Unfortunately — as I observed last summer in “Lost?” — the insertion of a predictably impotent (at best) international force between Israel and Hezbollah appears to have been Israel’s objective from some point early in the war. In any event, UNIFIL has been a catastrophe for Lebanon and Israel, and someone should take note in connection with the pending reauthorization of UNIFIL’a mandate. At the Corner, Noah Pollak observes that reauthorization will be “Renewing failure.”
To comment on this post, go here.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Princeton Students Fight Back
- Five Shot at Black Lives Matter Protest In Minneapolis [Updated]
- Washington Post's Fact Checker Doesn't Read the Washington Post [Updated][Updated Again]
- When the Press Attacks Donald Trump, the Truth Is Optional [Updated]
- Insist on the Gosar amendment
- White Supremacy, Or Self-Defense?
The Power Line Show
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell