Via Chris Cilllizza’s “The Fix,” we learn that Senator Hagel will not run for re-election in 2008. Hagel is scheduled to announce this on Monday, when he apparently will also say he does not intend to run for national office.
Cillizza says that this news “creates a potentially competitive open seat, with former Sen. Bob Kerrey (D) and former Gov. Mike Johanns (R) — two titans of Cornhusker politics — mentioned prominently as his replacement.” Johanns currently is the Secretary of Agriculture. Kerrey is President of the New School in New York.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
- Simpson Tried to Deceive Congress On the Fusion GPS/Obama DOJ Connection
- An Immigration Trifecta
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell