Here is the link to the estimates by the Center for Immigration Studies regarding the number of illegal immigrants who would receive amnesty under the Dream Act currently under consideration by the Senate. As I noted yesterday, an estimated 2.1 million illegal immigrants would receive amnesty under the Dream Act, and an additional 1.4 million (estimated) parents and siblings might end up with de facto amnesty. Moreover, these estimates do not take into account the likelihood of fraud, which has plagued prior legalization programs.
According to Mark Kirkorian, supporters of the Dream Act claim it would give amnesty to only 60,000 illegals per year. However, Kirkorian notes that even the liberal Migration Policy Institute estimates that the Act would result in amnesty for more than 1 million illegals.
UPDATE: Fred Thompson chastises the Democrats for “trying to sneak what amounts to another amnesty bill through.”
Most Read on Power Line
- Why You Should Be Sympathetic Toward Cliven Bundy
- Today's IRS Documents: What Do They Show?
- Standoff at Bundy Ranch Ends, With Photo of the Year So Far
- Is Scott Walker on his way to 2016 front-runner status?
- The War On Standards Comes to College Debate [with comment by Paul]
- At Dartmouth, Phil Hanlon wants no enemies to the left
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell