We wrote about the case of Wayne Dumond, the rapist whom Governor Mike Huckabee campaigned to free from an Arkansas prison, here and here. Dumond took advantage of his liberation to rape and murder another young woman. So the Dumond case is similar to the Willie Horton affair, with the added twist that Huckabee’s accounts of the matter have not been entirely credible.
Now an Arkansas Republican has upped the ante by interviewing the mother of the girl whom Dumond raped and murdered. The resulting video is simple but powerful.
You never know how much impact this kind of thing will have. I think it depends, generally, on whether it’s perceived as being just a fluke, or as revealing something about a candidate’s weaknesses as an executive. As I’ve said before, I think the incident typifies Huckabee’s emotional, rather than logical, approach to decision-making.
PAUL adds: This video is a bit too much for my taste. I can’t resist noting, however, that it features a picture of Dumond, the rapist-murderer. Remember how outraged the Democrats pretended to be that the “week-end pass” ad run by supporters of the first President Bush featured a picture of Willie Horton, a black man? I’ve been arguing for years that any ad, video, or news story of this nature inevitably will include a photo of the criminal, regardless of his race.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
- Minnesota woman strikes St. Kate's
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell