The word is that the House will abandon the “deem and pass” strategy and have a straight-up vote on the Senate version of Obamacare. In addition, but separately, the House will vote on amendments to the Senate version that could be adopted through “reconciliation” in the Senate.
I think this means one of two things: (1) Pelosi has the votes to pass the Senate version or (2) she has concluded that there are no extra votes to be gained through “deem and pass.” It also means, of course, that “deem and pass,” having been the object of much ridicule, was inflicting collateral damage on the Dems.
Some ridicule remains fair because the Democrats voted against a Republican attempt to have “deem and pass” renounced.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- We Live In a World Gone Mad
- What Carly can do
- What's Happening In States That Are Paying Attention Is Reassuring
- What Carly can do: Quotable quotes
- Federal judge threatens to hold IRS commissioner and DOJ lawyers in contempt [With Comment by John]
- Kerry refuses to commit to follow U.S. law on sanctions
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell