President Obama has accepted General McChrystal’s resignation and has named General Petraeus to replace him as the man in charge of our military operations in Afghanistan. It’s the smart move, I think. Obama could not easily have co-existed with McChrystal going forward, but replacing him with anyone other than Petraeus would have been seen as reducing our prospects for success. This way, Obama avenges the insult (both to him and to the chain of command) without being perceived as jeopardizing the war effort.
I doubt, however, that Petraeus can salvage that effort by July 2011. The best we can reasonably hope for is that, with Petraeus in charge, Obama will relax that deadline [note: and, of course, get the U.S. embassy and other key administration players on the same page as Petraeus]. But I’m not all that optimistic about this prospect either.
JOHN adds: With the announcement of General Petraeus’s appointment, MoveOn.org has done some airbrushing. They now have removed the “General Betray Us” page from their web site. What a disgusting bunch!
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Federal judge threatens to hold IRS commissioner and DOJ lawyers in contempt [With Comment by John]
- Lions, Triggers, and Critics, Oh My!
- We Live In a World Gone Mad
- Planned Parenthood Video #4 Is a Shocker
- An Omnibus Climate And Green Weenie Update [With Derision by John]
- What's Happening In States That Are Paying Attention Is Reassuring
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell