It’s been true for a long time that conservatives outnumber liberals by around two to one; now, according to the latest Gallup Poll, they out number moderates too. Currently, 42 percent of Americans call themselves conservative:
The problem, of course, is that the goalposts keep changing. As our governing class moves farther to the left, the definition of “conservative” is drifting leftward as well. For example, years ago, just about everyone was opposed to socialized medicine. Now, opposition to government medicine tends to be identified as a conservative view, so some Americans who have historically considered themselves moderates are calling themselves conservatives. In that sense and others, the growing number of conservatives is a reaction to the Democrats’ pell-mell rush to the left.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Could Liberal Disgust With Campus Brownshirts Be Reaching Critical Mass?
- Benghazi emails show that Clinton's aides used private accounts
- Justice Kennedy's testimony about gridlock harkens back to Obamacare case
- The New Republic Hits a New Low
- John Brennan assesses
- Does Howard Schultz know about this?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell