Tom Daschle has spent millions of dollars on television ads, beginning months before any campaign was otherwise underway. Only recently has John Thune begun his media campaign. But the latest South Dakota poll shows Thune with a two-point lead. There are a number of signs that the tide is turning against Daschle.
Daschle’s basic problem is that he can’t tell South Dakota’s voters anything they don’t already know. His whole career has been based on pork, not principle. But no matter how many millions of dollars Daschle spends, he can’t materially add to the pork factor. He’s already got that.
Meanwhile, Thune is running as a man of principle, and, as it happens, his principles match those of the majority of South Dakota voters far better than Daschle’s. Daschle can’t hide this fact by running ads showing him hugging President Bush.
Jon Lauck’s Daschle v. Thune is the place to go for information on what could be the year’s most important Senate race.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The meaning of "Australia" [Updated With Chart: How Successful Was Australia?]
- Bon Jovi to Waters: Drop Dead!
- Best Academic Abstract Ever [With Comments By John and Paul]
- Modest Proposals On Gun Violence
- Hide the women and children, the Supreme Court is back in session
- Report: Team Hillary asked Platte River to reduce email data storage
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell